For safety purposes, it may be necessary to order a building or campus evacuation. Follow these guidelines when directed to evacuate.
- All persons are required to evacuate a building when the fire alarm is activated or when ordered to do so by university or public safety personnel.
- Remain calm.
- Be aware of exits in your building.
- If time permits, take your belongings with you.
- Quickly shutdown any hazardous operations if possible.
- Walk, do not run.
- Do not use elevators.
- Leave through the nearest exit.
- Alert others as you leave.
- Close windows and doors.
- Do not reenter the building until authorized to do so.
- Keep sidewalks, streets, fire lanes clear for responders.
- Move away from the building and meet at a rally point
- Account for your classmates.
- Notify first responders (UAPD) of location and source of problem.
If you are unable to leave due to smoke, fire, etc.
- Keep room door closed.
- Call 911 or 205-348-5454 and provide your location.
- Hang an object or cloth on a window to let others know your location.
- Seal door cracks and ventilation with wet towels or clothes.
- If smoke enters your room, open exterior window.
- If smoke enters from outside, close exterior window.
- Stay close to the floor for clean air.
- Place a cloth around the nose and mouth to filter smoke.